Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Have y'all heard of Good Reads? It is a fabulous website for those of us who just love reading! I recently signed up and have found it to be a very good resource. You can review books you have read, read reviews for books you want to read, make a que of what you want to read, and have "friends" who can comment on what you have read/reading. I am really enjoying it! I always hear of good books that I think I should read, but when I go to buy them they slip from my mind! I have found the que to be a very helpful tool! This website is totally free, so if you don't have it...sign up and add me as a friend! If you already have an account, click on my good reads icon on the sidebar to visit my profile!
Monday, March 29, 2010
Friday, March 26, 2010
Thursday, March 25, 2010
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Pattern Review You have to sign up, but it is free for a general membership and there is a ton of information
Allison C Sewing Gallery
Amanda's Adventures in Sewing
Back to Sewing
Confessions of the Pink Obsessed
Diary of a Sewing Fanatic
Erica Bunkers DIY Style
Lindsey T Sews
Male Pattern Boldness
Real Life: Live & Unscripted
The Selfish Seamstress
Two On Two Off
Those are my fave sewing blogs I have found! I constantly learn new things and get inspiration from all of these sites. I hope you enjoy them!
Monday, March 22, 2010
Friday, March 19, 2010
Thursday, March 18, 2010
It is time for the big switch-a-roo around my house! Spring is almost sprung and once again I must rotate my closet. Unfortunately, I have quite a small closet in my current abode and it doesn't fit everything all at once. Every spring, and then again every fall, I must pack up the out of season clothes in rubbermaids and say goodbye until the next year. Tuesday night, I pulled out a couple of the rubbermaids (yes, I have MANY to hold all my clothes) and started the rotation. In honor of spring closet organization, I thought I would share a few of my tips for keeping a closet neat and organized year round!
- Group like items together
In my closet, I like to group my clothes by by categories like tanks, blouses, cardigans, jackets, dresses, skirts, etc. Within those groupings, I like to separate based on length of sleeve for tops and length of hem for skirts and dresses. I also like to separate based on where I might wear the item (i.e. is it a fancy or is it everyday). Another thing that I have seen done is groupings by color. I have tried this in the past, but I find it makes putting your clothes away after laundry a much bigger chore.
- Use the same type of hangers
When you see pictures of a well organized closet, it doesn't have a mixture of hangers from every store you have ever visited throughout. I think this is one of the biggest items needed for a organized closet. I like to use all white hangers so that I can see the color of my clothes better. When you are searching for something to wear in the morning with sleep still in your eyes, it is much faster to just see the color of the garment as opposed to a myriad of colored wire hangers, clear hangers, plastic hangers, etc. I buy the hangers for my closet at Walmart in a big pack for like $1. I also like to buy white skirt hangers there as well. Wood hangers are also a wonderful option. The price point is significantly higher, which is why I use cheapie Walmart ones. However, if you are lucky enough to own them, they are much better for your clothes. I also think it is important to invest in some puffy hangers as well. Delicate items really must be hung on the thick puffy hangers so that there isn't extra stress on them.
- Keep in season items in the main part of your closet
If you are not lucky enough to live in a place with tons of closet space or numerous closets, this is essential. It is time consuming to do the old switch-a-roo, but it is worth it in the end. Even if you have a larger closet, put in-season clothes in a central location and the out of season in the out of the way area. If you have a lovely walk-in or a closet room (gosh, I would be so jealous of you!), you are lucky and don't have to worry about this!
- Get rid of items you don't wear
We have all heard time and time again to get rid of things your haven't worn in X amount of months. My timeline is 1 season. If I didn't wear the garment at all that season, I donate/sell/giveaway that item. I do have a hard time with this one, but if you really think about it, it makes sense. If you didn't wear it this season, there was a reason. Maybe it was too small or large. Are you really going to be that size again in the near future? If the answer is seriously no, then get rid of it. No point in keeping "skinny" or "fat" clothes. If they can be altered to fit, go ahead and do that and keep them. However, if you put them in a stack of items to take to the tailor and they sit there for months as well, you don't love it enough to keep it. Remember that you will feel better in clothes that fit you correctly and you will look better too! Maybe it is an item that fits you fine, but you just never seemed to wear it. Toss it! If you went months and months without being drawn to wearing it, there is no point in keeping it any longer. Let's don't kid ourselves here. You are going to shop in the future. This isn't the last garment in existence. If you found yourself passing it over for clothes you already own, then you are going to pass it over next year when you have those clothes plus ones you have acquired since then. These items just junk up your closet and take up space. You will feel better when they are gone and you can actually see what you have and wear! Some items this obviously doesn't apply to. Special items like evening gowns or ski apparel might not be worn every year, but might be worth keeping. I would suggest keeping those items in a separate area so that it doesn't clutter up your main closet.
- Get rid of items that are showing wear
This is another big one that goes along the same lines. If the garment is showing wear, then it doesn't look it's best anymore. There is no point in keeping something that looks this way. You aren't going to feel your best wearing it and it should be replaced. If it is something that could easily be mended and look as good as new, you should do so. However, again, if you put it in the stack to take to the tailor or fix yourself, and you never get around to it, you should not keep it. You haven't missed wearing it and it isn't doing you any good.
These are my tips for keeping your closet in picture perfect shape year-round! Maybe if you are lucky, I might show y'all a snapshot of my closet when I get it organized. Right now it is in progress, so I would be embarrassed to show y'all that mess!
*image via google
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Thursday, March 11, 2010
1. I was born in Germany
2. My favorite sweet treat is pralines
3. When I was a little girl, I loved American Girl dolls. I got my first one, Samantha, for my 6th Birthday. I still have her tucked away in hopes that I have a little girl to pass her to one day!
4. If I could go anywhere in the world, my number one place to travel would be Greece.
5. I am a little bit of a germaphobe...just a little bit.
6. I am allergic to chocolate. No chocolate birthday cake for me!
7. I have a really hard time picking an all time favorite movie, but if I really had to it would be The Sound of Music
8. I would love to move back to Europe for a few years. It would be very scary to pack up and move, but a little piece of me is craving that adventure!
9. I love junk food! Chicken fingers, french fries, debbie cakes, you name it I love it! I would rather snack on junk all day than eat a meal. It is something about myself I try to avoid since it would probably catch up with me very quickly!
10. For my 13th birthday party, I had a swimming party at the indoor pool of the YMCA! It was a lot of fun!
11. My favorite birthday party was the one when my mom let all the girls in my class at school come to my house and spend the night. We had someone come to do our nails and makeup and we played all night long! I remember my mom telling us to go to sleep many times. That was the only slumber party I ever had...I think I know why now!
12. My dream car is a Volvo XC90. Yes, I said my dream car! I really really want one and have for many years now!
13. My favorite Disney character is Belle from Beauty and The Beast. I have always thought she was so pretty. That was one of my favorite movies growing up.
14. I am obsessed with comfy clothes. Every time I go to a store like Target I have to go look at the pajamas or the lounge wear. I always seem to be buying stuff like that because it looks so comfy. I have 3 whole drawers in my dresser devoted to pjs and lounge wear. I don't think Thomas is going to have any room for his stuff when we get married!
15. My favorite flower is a peony
16. I love to water ski, go tubing, knee board, and other water sports. I just can't get enough
17. I really like to cook and bake.
18. My nickname at work is Social Butterfly
19. I have freckles
20. My favorite cut of diamond is a Round Brilliant
21. I love to go to art museums. I could spend an entire day looking at art and be very content.
22. The quote that best describes me is "Determine to live life with flair and laughter." - Maya Angelou
Friday, March 5, 2010
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Tuesday, March 2, 2010
LM suggested that I do some reviews to let everyone know if the items are something we all want to run out and buy, or stay far away from. I loved this idea and I am planning on doing some reviews in the future on the items I love or hate! I am not getting any sort of compensation for this, and the companies have not contacted me about their products. I just think these will be some fun posts for us girls that love beauty products!
The first products I tried in my goodie bag was a facial system by Be Fine Skincare. I had a sample of the Gentle Cleanser with Sugar, Mint, Oats, and Rice, the Firming Toner with Ginger and Willow Bark, and the Daily Moisturizer with Rosemary, Pomegranate, and Rice. This company uses natural products that are known to be good for the body like pomegranate and have made them key ingredients for the skin. I love natural products like Burts Bees, so I was eager to try this out. I am always on the lookout for a good skincare product!
- The cleanser washes off all of my makeup, including eye makeup! This is a big deal to me because I hate having to use greasy eye makeup remover and then wash my face after that. I like products that do it all!
- My skin felt very clean after using the cleanser, and my skin look brighter and rejuvenated!
- The toner made me feel extra clean and my pores looked smaller.
- The packaging was unique, streamlined, and looked pretty on my bathroom counter. I liked how the toner was actually a spray bottle! It was neat and I felt like I used less toner this way versus the normal way that toner comes in a bottle and you have to stick your cotton ball upside down on the bottle and I end up wasting a lot of it. The packaging is A+
- The products smell really good!
- The moisturizer is awful! It is nice that it can be used on the face and the hands, but I felt greasy every time I put it on. It felt like putting hand cream on my face! I did not like it at all!
- Do not use the moisturizer if you get acne even a little bit. I am NOT prone to acne and I have the worst breakout right now because of this product. I ended up throwing it away before I was even done with it. I am not having to use medicated acne cream to clean up this mess. DO NOT USE IT!!!!
I was recommend the cleanser and toner to anyone! They are awesome products! But the moisturizer, ou vey! Don't waste your money! I used it for two weeks and it screwed up my face so bad! It is a terrible product! LM - don't worry or feel bad that I hated the moisturizer, it is just part of trying out new products! I am thoroughly enjoying all my new goodies! :)
Monday, March 1, 2010
Well, this got me to thinking about something else I could do with Monday posts. I like having something fun to write about on Monday since most of my weekends consist of studying and going out to eat, which I am sure y'all don't want to read about. I have been reading some sewing blogs lately and many of them do a weekly list of goals they have for sewing. I really enjoy reading theirs and seeing how they fare each week, so that is what I am going to do on Mondays. Everyone seems to be pretty interesting in my newest hobby and I will now let y'all know what I am making every week! I hope y'all like this new segment!
Without further ado, the first ever "What's Jennifer Sewing?"
This week I have a lot going on with 2 midterms and Alice in Wonderland coming which I MUST see! I am not going to set anything too lofty this week. I would like to...
- finish my skirt that I started this weekend. It is being made in a fabric I love! I will do a full post when it is complete!
- Figure out what my next project to tackle will be and start work on it. I have a stack of 6 garments ready to be made with fabric picked out and everything, but I can't decide which I want to do first. It will either be another one of these skirts in a pretty greek inspired maze print, a strapless dress made out of a fun lemon and lime print (very Lilly inspired), or one of my jersey items I planned out from a past post when I ordered fabric. I just can't decide!!!!
- Post about what items I have made and learned in the last 2 months and do a post on my pink and white seersucker bow dress! It is tres cute!!! I am leaning on making it my official Easter dress!
That's it! I think I can accomplish all of these sewing goals this week! We will see where I am next week! Have a great Monday!
From my Mother
From my In-laws
I felt very loved this Valentine's Day because of all the sweet Valentine's I had this year! What did y'all get for Valentine's Day?
ETA: You may have seen this post before because I posted it last week. Unfortunately, I had no idea that all the posts I have in the works saved as drafts are actually posting on the days I started working on them...so like 2 weeks prior to the actual day I post them. So, if you wonder why I haven't been posting, I actually have but they have been going back a couple weeks. At least now I know how to fix this! I am not even sure how many posts this happened with, but in the future it won't happen anymore! Have a great week!
Oh, and there will be a Monday post today as well, so be sure to look for that! I have a new idea for Monday posts! :)