Saturday, January 30, 2010

Fabric Plans

Denver Fabrics is having a great sale right now and I figured I had better get a couple cuts of jersey that I liked while I could get it for $4.75 a yard! I have a couple of patterns that are at my current skill level that require jersey, but all the jersey I have found in Savannah has been upwards of $10 or even $15 a yard. Considering that I might mess up, I just cannot spend that much money on fabric right now. If you are a sewer, run over there and grab some cuts for yourself! They have quite a few cute fabrics! Here are my plans for the fabrics!I am going to research other techniques for the sleeve closing there because I think it looks Becky Home-Ecey to put elastic at the bottom of the sleeve to tighten them. I am sure I can find a way to make them cinched without looking like they do in that picture. I think this will be a cute top with this fabric!I think I am going to make the far left pattern with the bow to the side. I am in love with this jersey print and I am planning to find a contrasting solid jersey for the band under the bust and the bow/straps. I am thinking either that pretty turquoise or the fuchsia color for the contrast. I'm really excited about this one!Last, but not least is this little beauty! I am planning to make the short sleeved dress because I just think it looks so chic and with this print I can see me wearing it during Savannah's HOT summers! I just fell in love with this print! I ordered extra of it so that I could line up the pattern just so. From the sewing blogs I have been reading, I have concurred that this is a time consuming challenge. However, it always turns out looking so pretty and the best way to learn is to try challenging things!

Don't worry girls, this is not exclusively a sewing blog now! I am still going to talk about other topics and shopping at "real" stores, but I am just so excited by my new hobby that I can't help but blog about it! It is really all that has been on my mind lately, so I guess that translates into blogging about it! :) I am really looking forward to being able to make some fun garments! I hope everyone has a great weekend! I must sign off now and do that paper that is hanging over my head...and the laundry! Talk to y'all Monday!

6 comments:

  1. Look at you go! Geeze girl, that's an amazing hobby! I would be overwhelmed doing a dress, but I love to do handbags (totes, clutches).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You cannot go wrong with your Vogue patterns!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, you have picked out some adorable patterns and the fabric is awesome!! I can't wait to see how your outfits turn out. I am so proud of you!! Trial and error is how you learn when sewing. Best of luck with your new hobby. I wish I were closer to be able to help you. Love & blessings from NC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you found some patterns and fabrics! I can't wait to see what you come up with, the patterns are just so colorful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are so talented! Be sure to post pictures of you modeling once you've made everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the patterns and fabric you selected! I'm going to borrow your idea and do a similar post about a dress I'm planning to make. I'm excited to hear about all of the techniques you learn with these projects; it seems like there is so much to absorb and improve on--it will be great to read your thoughts on all of the different patterns. Have you seen this website: patternreview.com? It's another great resource. Happy sewing!

    ~Candice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Your comments make my day!