Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Acrylic Nail Emergency!

Saturday, I went to the beach with Ashton and Laura. I laid out and got in the water. Of course, I wore sunscreen because I burn really bad without it (and I reapplied!) After laying out for a while, I noticed my perfect french manicure was sticking to the sand! I wear acrylic nails by the way. I tried to wash them off with clean water...still sticky. Clean them up with a towel...still sticky. I finally gave up until I got home. When I got home and took a shower, I scrubbed them with a nail brush. The sand came off, but they were still sticky! I tried putting clear top coat on them and it literally melted off! It never dried and it became like an oil. I gave up and decided that I would get them fixed on Monday. They finally hardened up again and they look terrible!!! I could not figure out what was wrong with them. Well, I googled it and apparently it is sunscreen! There are emulsifiers in sunscreen and they literally eat away and dissolve the top layer of acrylic (and based on my research, I think regular manicured nails also are affected) So this really wouldn't be a problem except for the following facts:

1. I live in Georgia on the coast! I live in the boat in the summer! Sunscreen is not optional!
2. I'm leaving to go on a cruise on Sunday! I have already paid for excursions that involve sand, water, and sunscreen.
3. I have weak and brittle nails that will not grow past the quick if I don't keep them manicured with acrylic (or gel or something like that. They are all affected by sunscreen)

There are some sunscreens that are okay, but there is no listing of what is okay and is not okay. Instead, the Internet sites suggest trying out the sunscreen in the store with a glass mirror that has your polish dried on it. Uh, not so practical! Also, I have already bought 3 bottles of sunscreen and I am not buying more! The only option I can think of is to wear latex gloves when I am applying. I told Thomas I was doing this and he laughed at me. FYI - if I do this, I will only be applying in the privacy of my stateroom! It's really weird that this happened! I have worn acrylic nails before this summer and never had this problem! It's a good thing this happened before the cruise so that I can go buy some latex gloves!

12 comments:

  1. Good to know! I would have done the same thing and not know what would have happened! YOu have an adorable blog! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never worn acrylic nails so I have no idea. Thanks for you nice comment on my blog. What size are you? I'd be glad to send you pics of the lilly pieces I'm selling and maybe we could work out a deal so I wouln't have to bother listing them on ebay? Just let me know if you're interested, you can email me overwhelmed.debt@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's frustrating! Have you tried a few coats of clear polish to create a barrier? Or maybe Solar nails would be better than acrylic? They aren't as porous & don't yellow like acrylics can....

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I had acrylics, I was also a slave to the fake and bake tanner. When I'd go in the lights made my french manicure turn yellor, so I bought these little rubber finger nail covers. They worked perfectly to only cover my nails. Maybe you can buy those for when yoy apply the sunscreen and then immediatly wash your hands?

    Or buy the spray on sunscreen? B loved it when we were in Florida last.

    Also, ask you manicurist if they have a solar friendly top coat, so that the color won't change. It might also help with the melting issue. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Princess Freckles. Spray sunscreen works for me. You can even buy the water resistant spray that lasts a bit longer when enjoying water sports. It's a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Princess Freckles. They even have a spray sunscreen that is great for water sports- you don't have to reapply as often as the regular spray!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This had totally happened to me before! It is so frustrating.I use spray sunscreen, but it still happens unless you are very, very careful. I have switched from regular acrylics to solar nails. I have been very careful with my spray sunscreen, and I haven't had that problem yet. Maybe I have learned to be more careful or maybe it is the solar nails.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so funny - I'm a sunscreen queen too. Latex gloves (while not the most attractive swimsuit accessories) might just be the key! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What about spray sunscreen? Would that work? I never get my nails done so I have no idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just had the same thing happen to me, so I used some alcohol and it took it right off!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use this new sunscreen by a company named Nailed Cosmetics. They guarantee its safe on all nail polish and acrylic nails. I use it when I cure my gel nails too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use Nailed Cosmetics sunscreen. its the only sunscreen that is safe on acrylic nails and nail polish. Im obsessed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Your comments make my day!